Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pink Skull Handbag

Back in March, a few of us girls got together to make check covers. Simple project. We thought we'd do something with a pattern next, and I found a cute hand bag pattern - so we decided to do it.

We started a little later, due to prior obligations (I was supposed to go to a baby shower but the girl had her baby instead), so we began the project around 2:00 that afternoon. I have to thank Tara (yet again), for her undeviating patience and willingness to be our mentor and coach - since none of us knew what we were doing... and we really didn't (the sad thing was that as the project went on, I was hardly able to pay attention so I could make another one sometime). Since there were three of us ametures and only one Tara, she was torn between all of us relentlessly asking, "what's next?" or "now what?"

When 6:00 PM rolled around, we weren't even close to being done. I believe it was Tara who said, "It's a bummer we won't get to finish these." It was then that Jacci piped up and said, "wait... why aren't we finishing?" Tara: "It's almost 6:00, and Ryan will be home soon." Jacci willingly volunteered her house (luckily they live just across the walkway from each other in their complex), and we decided that we better not leave it unfinished. We also realized that our schedules wouldn't have allowed us to get together again until the next month... so we took a break for dinner, and switched houses. We headed over to Jacci's... and there we stayed.

Before we knew it, it was 10:00 PM. Not done. I think the brownies Jacci made pulled us through... as it turned out, we needed them. Midnight rolled around... still working. 1:00 came and went... 2:00 (which magically turned into 3:00 with daylight savings) came and went...

4:00... almost done... I think it was about 4:20 AM when I finally finished... I was the last one. I think we each took turns saying something rather unsophisticated, but I suppose there weren't 5 minutes that went by that didn't have us in stitches from one of those unsophisticated statements. I can't say there's anyone I'd rather sew with in the wee hours of the morning...

The bags turned out really well, and we were impressed with ourselves. My creation...

The bags were quite a bit more roomy than we thought they would be. They were perfect.

My homemade design, inspired by Tara.

Jacci's bag...

This is Jacci's design. Talk about talent!
She pieced her bag together by sewing the strips of fabric together. Genius, that girl is.

I pulled up at home at 4:45, heading to bed at the glorious hour of 5:00 am, only to get up at about 7:30 and drift in and out of sleep until 9:30 when it was time to get up and ready for the day again. Surprisingly, I survived that entire day without a nap. Miracle? I think so.

No comments: